How Double Glazing Can Improve Your Home
At Aluframes Direct, we specialise in installing high quality aluminium bifold doors. But what are aluminium bifold doors? What makes them so sought after, and how can they improve a home? We answer these questions and more in this complete guide. Learn about what makes our aluminium bifold doors special below, or get a quote now via our free online quoting engine. It can get you a no obligation accurate price in just a few clicks.
Energy efficiency & cost savings
The installation of double glazing, also known as double-pane windows, is a significant upgrade for both new and existing homes due to its substantial impact on energy efficiency and cost savings.
Energy Efficiency and Heat Loss Reduction:
- Double-glazed windows are known for reducing heat gain and loss through windows, which account for 25%–30% of residential heating and cooling energy use.
- They incorporate two glass panes with a space filled with gas, like krypton or argon, which forms a thermal barrier, significantly reducing heat transfer compared to single-pane windows.
- Upgrading to double-pane windows can lead to an average energy savings of up to 12% per year. This reduction in energy usage directly translates to lower utility bills.
- In the context of rising energy costs, anticipated to increase by as much as 23% double glazing can help offset these higher expenses.
Additional Benefits: Beyond energy efficiency, double glazing works well for any home offers several other advantages:
- Noise Reduction: The air gap between the glass panes acts as a sound buffer, significantly reducing outside noise.
- Improved Comfort: These windows prevent drafts and temperature fluctuations, ensuring more consistent and comfortable indoor temperatures.
- Durability: Double-glazed windows tend to have a longer lifespan, often lasting significantly longer than single-pane windows before needing replacement.
- Increased Resale Value: Energy-efficient updates like double-glazing are attractive to home buyers, potentially increasing a home’s value by up to 8%.
Selection Tips for Double Glazing
When selecting double-glazed windows, it’s important to consider several factors:
- Frame Types: Different materials offer varying levels of insulation and durability.
- Glazing Type: Select appropriate glazing based on your climate, opting for gas-filled windows with low-e coatings in colder climates to reduce heat loss.
- U-Factor: This measures the window’s thermal resistance. A lower U-factor is better in colder climates.
- Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC): A lower SHGC is preferable in warmer climates to reduce heat gain.
Reducing energy bills
One of the most compelling reasons to choose double glazing is the potential for energy savings. By providing better insulation, double-glazed windows reduce the need for heating in winter and air conditioning in summer, leading to lower energy bills.
Consistent indoor temperatures
Double glazing works to maintain a consistent temperature inside the home, regardless of the weather outside. This is especially beneficial in regions with extreme temperatures, ensuring comfort year-round.
Adapting to Different Climates
Whether you live in a hot or cold climate, double glazing is designed to adapt and provide optimal thermal performance. This adaptability makes it a suitable choice for homes across various regions.
Enhanced Security Measures
Protection Against Break-Ins
The robust construction of double-glazed windows provides an added layer of security to homes, acting as a deterrent against break-ins and burglaries.
Safety and peace of mind
Knowing that your home is secure brings peace of mind. Double glazing contributes to a safer living environment, protecting your home and loved ones.
Noise reduction and acoustic comfort
A Quieter Home Environment
Living in a noisy neighbourhood can be stressful. Double glazing significantly reduces noise pollution, creating a quieter and more peaceful home environment.
Blocking out external noises
Whether it’s traffic, neighbours, or other external noises, double glazing helps block them out, ensuring a tranquil living space.
Additional benefits and considerations
Condensation can lead to mould and damp issues. Double glazing reduces the likelihood of condensation, contributing to a healthier living environment.
Aesthetics and Design Flexibility
Double glazing offers a wide range of design options, ensuring that homeowners don’t have to compromise on style. From traditional to contemporary designs, there’s a double-glazed window to suit every aesthetic preference.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the life span of double-glazed windows?
Double-glazed windows typically last between 20 and 35 years, depending on the quality of the installation and materials used. Regular maintenance can extend their lifespan.
Can double glazing be repaired if damaged?
Yes, double glazing can be repaired if damaged, though in some cases, replacement of the entire unit might be more cost-effective.
Does double glazing provide UV protection?
Double glazing provides a level of UV protection, though this can be enhanced with special coatings.
Can double-glazing reduce UV exposure?
Yes, double glazing can significantly reduce UV exposure, protecting your furniture from fading and contributing to a healthier indoor environment.
Is double-glazing worth the investment?
Given the energy savings, enhanced comfort, and additional benefits, double glazing is considered a wise investment for most homeowners.
Is double-glazing environmentally friendly?
Absolutely, double glazing is an environmentally friendly option. It reduces energy consumption, which in turn lowers greenhouse gas emissions.
Double Glazing Prices
To get an accurate and competitive price for double glazing prices, use our free online quoting engine. We tailor our quotes to each individual specification so that you can get the right set of doors to fit your home. For more information, call us on 0800 689 1289, or fill out our online contact form, and we’ll get back to your enquiry with expert advice.